Old 07-07-06, 03:39 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sunofsand
I hate sayings like that. Sounds like just another
no talent/lots of hard work guy sticking up for their brothers.

I don't happen to believe in "naturals"
and yes
I would be considered one of the "naturals." Honestly, I'm a "natural" at everything. Was I just born with the ability? I doubt it.
I'm sure my first throw wasn't perfectly straight and far. My first steps were probably not very graceful. I was no STUD in T-ball.
Quick learner I was, though. Why is that?
Higher intelligence? Perhaps.
But then there are countless nerds who still run like an addict with a broken toe to account for.
Many of those nerds were just as smart as I. A few even smarter.
What's the difference between us?

Work.
I've been playing sports or doing athletic-type things for my entire life.
My parents were not exceptional athletes. I highly doubt I was "gifted" with these skills. I earned em just like those "no talent" guys
only at a younger age. I'm a perfectionist and I don't settle. I was not the fastest runner in grade school. I was 2nd fastest-and left in the dust. By 6th grade I was finally the fastest and by 8th the fastest throughout the high-school. That was work. Eventhough I never had some strict, specialized training routing that some "no-talent" would need to get better
It was still work.

Don't give me less credit than I -and others like me- deserve just because some other dude didn't have the same passion -or dedication- as a child. To stay the best takes effort. With lots of people specializing in one sport just so they can "Be Like Mike"
It takes an awful lot of work to keep up when you're a "natural" playing 5 or more.
You dont believe in naturals? So your saying that people that go out and catch on istantly to something dont exist? You have to be kidding right....I mean its a known scientific fact that some people are more gifted in areas that others are not.

My point was that hardwork is the end all, people that came from the bottom are more humble and dont get caught up on petty...whatever, doesnt matter....this isnt what the OP had in mind, dont want to get hung up on a tangent here-