View Single Post
Old 06-20-19, 04:18 PM
mboro1876

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rebuilt Dawes Galaxy

Just treated my 1984 Dawes Galaxy to a rebuild after a minor crash — it came out without a scratch.

New parts:
— Nitto tallish stem and Rando bars
— gran compe levers. On one, the cable end inside seems to get caught between positions leading to creaking and snapi noises when applying.
— original weinmann 737 (solid straddle) centrepulls. The front slots still need a tiny bit of filing to get the reach
— spa cycles 28-44 (triple with bash guard) crankset
— 107mm tange BB. Helps to give a chain line so that the 44 works well with all cogs of the 6 speed freewheel. I may add a third chainring at some point but for now i like the setup.
— bar tape... think I’ll do brown cork but it’s not on yet.
— SKS chromoplastic guards.

Old:
— suntour ratchet shifters
— Blackburn rack, have a front to put on too
— suntour vx gt RD and AR FD. They do a good job, I may have the next chain a little longer to have even less stress on the spring. Big-big is a used gear with this setup.
— laprade seatpoat, and a reissue turbo saddle clinging on for dear life with a coke-can shim.
— open sport rims on shimano 600 hubs.

from a quick shakedown ride I love it so far. Really much more useable gears for a commuter/tourer. Any ideas on the creaky/Ill-seating brake cable end in the lever? Perhaps a bit of oil, or a misshapen cable end that needs wearing down a little?

Likes For mboro1876: