burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by ckc 189
Besides this triathlon, I have never rode in a group so I dont know what "legitimate" road cyclists can do. What is a normal speed that a solo road cyclist can keep on relatively flat ground? I have been able to stay pretty close to 20 mph, and when doing a more hilly ride, I normally average between 18-19mph.

So it seems like If i want to get more competitive, at a minimum, I need to get used to aero bars or spend the money and get a TT / Tri Bike. Do people that have a TT bike ride it all the time for training and everything or normally ride a road bike, but pull out the TT for races?
As a separate answer from my earlier post, don't worry about it on the group ride. Most groups have A/B/C. Start in the B. Say hi before leaving and ask a few questions about the group and route. Feel it out for a couple weeks, then see what you think. Most B groups on rolling terrain are your normal seasoned clubbies that have plenty of miles per week but don't really care to race or do crazy interval training. Your A's will vary wildly. Some A groups might only be 20mph, some might be 23+ race pace.

Also, if you're mostly going to do triathlon/TT, then I would ride that bike most of the time. Ride the roadie if you care for a social hour with the group ride.

I don't do my VO2 work on the TT bike though, I'd prefer not do my 2min or 3min intervals at some ludicrous speed around corners and stuff in the aerobars. So, for those, I use the roadie.