View Single Post
Old 10-09-19, 05:39 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Whey protein isolate is the best form of protein if cost is no object. It goes through an additional process to remove additional carbs so its virtually all (90+%) protein. Of course that's only important if carbs are an issue for you. Otherwise, the standard whey protein (80%) should be sufficient. I drink at least 2 shakes/day.

If you don't like any sugar/sweeteners or artificial flavors the unsweetened whey is great. The problem of course is that it smells like dead animal and taste ghastly.
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
The shakes themselves aren't cheap, as you mention. Protein powder is though. I have a tub of it gathering dust, haven't opened it for years. I was thinking when I finished it I'd reuse the plastic container as a bear canister, but for rodents. I need to get on that.

I don't really find this stuff enjoyable. Protein shakes and powders aren't yummy, and they don't make me feel wonderful - blunt my appetite for an hour or two, but in a moderately unpleasant way. Then my appetite comes back, and I've used 200-300 calories on a $2 drink I didn't enjoy.
You're not doing it right. I blend mine with with fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, peaches, apples, etc.) and are indistinguishable in taste from your standard milk shake.

The alternative is eating a balanced diet with enough protein and carbohydrates, and that tends to be more enjoyable in terms of how it tastes, how it makes me feel, and how it affects my performance.
It sounds so simple when you put it that way. The problem with that is seldom do we take the time to prepare those meals, and/or sit down and have all the balanced diet to meet our daily nutritional needs. That's why supplements exist -- to fill in for those missed/incomplete meal preparation opportunities.

Originally Posted by canklecat

On workout days I also add various other supplements -- DHEA, pregnenolone, magnesium lactate, l-arginine, ajuga turkest extract (supposedly a good source of ecdysterone), and kratom for chronic pain from the auto-immune disorder that killed my thyroid. That stuff all tastes kinda bitter and the protein powder covers it up. Seems to help. I'm stronger and faster than I was even the couple of years before the thyroid cancer. Of course that could also be due to persistence in physical therapy. I still tire more easily than I used to, but I'm older so there's that.
That resolve may apply when you're in your 80s. In the mean time, there are a variety of solutions proven to reverse the signs of aging.

And my doctors say I have osteopenia and low Vitamin D, so I'm adding calcium and vitamin D to make them happy. But it doesn't seem to make any difference. Studies indicate we don't get much good from extra dietary calcium and vitamin D. Supposedly more sun exposure might help and I went this entire summer riding in short sleeves and shorts without sunscreen. No sunburns but no improvement in my bone density and vitamin D either. Dunno, might be related to the endocrine disorder.
I can't speak to the studies, but it worked wonders for me. Improved my cognitive abilities noticeably, and relieved a modicum my lethargy. Although I did notice you said, extra.

If I have time and energy to cook at home I use protein supplements less often. Just depends on my schedule and energy.

I've noticed that my appetite is better during and after a ride if I start the day with the protein concoction I described. For years I'd work or exercise in the heat and it killed my appetite. But now I have a good appetite although my weight is only about 5 lbs over my optimal low body fat weight. I usually go with little or no food during rides from 20-100 miles, maybe just a Clif or Larabar and a couplafew gels. But I'm ravenous afterward and occasionally eat an entire large supreme pizza after a 40 mile or longer ride. That's a big change over years ago when I tended to have no appetite after hard work or exercise.
😱