Old 09-15-19, 10:49 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
What is that rack you have on the rear of bike. Looks like a basic rack that you cut down to support that large seatbag.
It is in fact, an old basic rack cut down. Sort of a stop gap progression as an idea unfolded.

*long answer*

When I originally ordered the Carradice saddle bag (my first expeiment with online orders from the UK) I cheaped out from buying the support rack https://www.carradice.co.uk/products...sport-original and of course, then found the saddle bag rubbing the wheel. So I made a temporary one out of the old rack which did the job for quite a while.

But as time went by I came up with a shared moduar concept between two bikes: this Norco and a fat bike.

It turns out both share the same seat post size so I can swap saddles and (in the mail as we speak) dropper posts and a one bag system (gas tank, frame, HB, saddle and panniers) so I don't have to buy two separate sets of everything for each bike. This (dreaming) will let me buy better quality parts and can be scaled up or down depending on needs.

Because I eventually wanted panniers I bought an Axiom Streamliner for the Norco https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-road-dlx/

So now I sit with two bikes to cover the gambit of riding/touring from pavement - gravel - singletrack - off road.

I know seat bags are in vogue for bike packing (although many bikepackers use Carradice saddle bags too), and I own one but I find fully loaded there was some sway and I've seen the buckle system fail on another bike in a way that dropped it onto the back tire (quick stop!) so I opted for a saddle bag which has a lot of room and is still aerodynamic in that it tucks behind my hips. It also works well alone for rambles and brevet type rides.

Day tripping

Light touring

loaded (for me) touring

Off road day tripping

Fully loaded

In between

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-15-19 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet: