FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamg2412

Hi Brooke

i am also interested in the same model AL4. The only question for me is tire clearance. Website says 38 mm but everyone mention 35. Have you ever try to fit bigger tires than stocks?
I think that's an important concern that Trek hasn't addressed adequately. I bought a 2019 Checkpoint SL last year when the official clearance was for 45mm tires. The bikes have not changed. But the official tire clearance spec has been reduced to 35mm. According to Trek, this is because of a reinterpretation of safety regulations. If that's the case, Trek needs to be more open and communicate with its bike owners. If this is a safety issue, they've either got (1) a deceptive advertising issue, or (2) a safety issue. Keeping owners in the dark is not the right way to handle this.

[EDIT: The 35mm capacity came from my review of Trek's website and a discussion with Trek's customer service guy on Friday, February 15, 2019. Today, Monday February 18, 2019, the capacity spec on Trek's website is 40mm for SL models and 38mm on AL models. What is it really? And why? Who knows. The constantly changing spec is maddening!]

Last edited by FlashBazbo; 02-18-19 at 10:24 AM.