View Single Post
Old 02-20-20, 08:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,482 Times in 4,184 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
Let me start by saying that I am open to being educated. I have a very nice cyclo-cross bike. Why would I need a gravel bike? Is there a significant difference? If so, what is it? Might as well throw in a pic of my bike.
You dont need a gravel bike. Its a hobby- get one if you find value in it.
Do you race or recreationally ride CX? If not- why have a CX style bike?

If the bike(s) you have work well for the ways in which you ride, then you obviously dont need another bike.

There is a lot of blur between CX and Gravel bikes right now, since many CX bikes in the last half decade(or so) have had the tire clearance increase(which both allows mud to shed more easily in races and allows for wider tires to ride gravel).
The other blur is that since 'gravel' is such a wide spanning category, it includes bikes that are basically rigid drop bar mountain bikes as well as bikes that are road race bikes with wide tires. The materials, components, and geometry is really wide spanning within the category. There will obviously be a lot of crossover into the long established categories of paved road, mtb, and CX as a result of this.

The Cervelo Aspero is a gravel race bike that has been used in pro CX races. Other gravel bikes have been used in CX races recently too(dont remember because I only read about it from push notifications and am too lazy to google on this well worn topic).
- Bikes like the Aspero, 3T Exploro, Open UP, Salsa Warbird, etc that position themselves as gravel race bikes.
- Bikes like the Cannondale Topstone, All City Cosmic Stallion, Jamis Renegade, Niner RLT/RDO, Trek Checkpoint, etc that position themselves as all around gravel bikes. These could be capable of long recreational rides or racing, just depends on setup and what the rider wants.
- Bikes like the Black Mountain Cycles MCD, Salsa Cutthroat, Bombtrack Beyond, etc position themselves as adventure/monstercross/drop bar MTB bikes that are built to explore and be rugged.

Some of all this is marketing and some of all this is legitimate design.
Ride your bikes however and wherever you want, and if its difficult to do, then look at a better bike for the job. Its pretty simple.
Likes For mstateglfr: