Old 03-24-20, 11:39 AM
niliraga 

Bikes: 1970s Coppi/Fiorelli beater, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1972 Bob Jackson, 1970 Cilo Sprint-X, 1985 Fuji Touring Series IV, 1969 Legnano Roma

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
I currently have, on my Vitus 979, some TopLine cranks and a Campy Nuovo Record BB. The TopLine cranks are purported to be JIS and I'm pretty sure the NR only came in ISO. I had a NR crank on it before, and it was pretty normal. I was a little worried, but everything is working fine. The TopLine sits about the same place on the taper as the NR. For what that's worth.

I did the beer can shim on my old Courtois I rode when I lived in Poitiers. Probably Carlsberg or 1664, I don't remember. The crank taper was deformed and bottoming out, so I needed some extra space. It was not great at first - I was always tightening it - but after a time it settled down. The beer can must be cut just to sit on the taper faces and not fill up the corners, otherwise the thing will be coming loose all the time.
good old Kronenbourg! right - so 4 small rectangles of beercan, each set on a taper "face" and fully framed by that face? i may try this and see how well it works. i dont mind at all abusing the cranks, as long as i dont do significant damage to the spindle's tapers. you reckon catering-thickness alum foil might be worth a first pass?