Old 05-05-11, 12:17 PM
snowman40

Bikes: Fuji

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pub
Does anyone or did anyone feel embarrassed at first when riding around on a bike?
To be honest I am and that comes from a few reasons.

1st, I’m paranoid that people are watching me because to see a Clyde on a bike is not the norm here, at least I have never seen it.
People are stupid, you can't change that. Counterpoint, maybe you can be someone else's inspiration to get out and lose weight.

2nd, I’m not a fast rider, in fact I am anything but. I just like to take my time while others go at the speed of sound. And that makes me more paranoid because I keep thinking people are laughing at me going slower than them because I’m a Clyde.
No one is fast when they start, it comes with time. When I started commuting (2008), I was barely hitting 13-14 mph average a ride. Now I'm in the 15-20 range depending which way I go among other factors. I have no idea how fast I'll be on my Felt F75....I think I might scare myself. I'm heavily addicted to endorphins though...

3rd, I’m going through the learning process of getting the gears right for what I want to do. So when I come to an incline, I am sometimes not in the right gear and by the time I have figured it out its too late and I can’t pedal so have to get off. Another reason for being paranoid and looking a fool.
Getting off and walking/changing the gear happens. I attack hills and end up regretting it and going to a shorter chainring - triples were created, and are still around, because there is a need.

4th, I’m not confident that a bike will hold up to my weight (310) and the last thing I want is to have to get off because of a broken something or other and have to push it home. More paranoia – Clyde pushing a bike because he broke it!!
Get a steel/aluminum bike and you won't have to worry about the frame breaking. Other stuff breaks, it happens.

Am I being totally stupid here?
No.