Old 03-26-20, 11:32 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,637 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by showlow
1. I'm using 24mm wide tape,a recommended by the Stan's box for 21mm internal width rims. Would it help to use narrower tape? I could use 21mm width.

2. I wrapped the rims 2 times around, again, per the box's instructions for road pressure tires. Maybe if it were wrapped just once it would be a little easier?
1) No. Use the tape width should ideally go completly from edge to edge.

2) No. The double thickness is required to withstand the additional double pressure.

You don't need a bead jack.

The first bead is the easy part.

The second bead you are going to get all but the last 8 or 10 inches. Use 2 tire levers. Facing the work side, Lock 1 lever between the bead & the bead seat. Hold this lever with your knee while sitting in a chair. This will keep the progress you have already made.

Next, slide the second lever between the tire & the rim at the mid point & use the second lever to literally lever the bead over rim with one hand while keeping the non-lever locked bead from sliding back with firm pressure from the thumb on your free hand.

You should be finishing at the valve stem because you need every nth of leeway possible to get the bead over the rim.

I hope I explained it well.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2: