Old 05-29-19, 03:14 PM
mongol777

Bikes: are all mine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RyanAK
Hey, man. Good on ya for keeping things bright and happy out there. I find that for the causes I advocate for (mostly water and land conservation issues and Autism education) that a positive attitude goes a long way. If a kid sees a smiling face on a cool pink bike, that will go a long way to getting small butts on saddles.

Honestly... I really don’t really know exactly why the Gorilla Monsoon dropped from a spot near the top. I think it was a combination of things as I rearranged the list and focused in on what I want to do - ‘gravel rando’ or ‘home territory adventure’ or ‘state forest explorer’ or something. Randonneur-style front loading on secondary county and state forest roads. I really fell hard for the GM the first time I saw photos. I mean, how could I not? Both the orange and green colorways are striking. I guess I thought there might be other frames that would handle high, front-load weight in a rando bag better? ‘Low trail’. Maybe I’m not as familiar or comfortable with current MTB components that the GM takes? Am I hip enough for All-City? Price for the complete is entirely out of the budget and the frameset is at the absolute top end.

Anyway, as I kept looking some other bikes came to the forefront and that gorgeous Gorilla Monsoon slid down and off of the Top 5 list. But maybe it deserves another look. How’s the front handle with a load up high? Any tendency to flop?

All-City responded to a query from their website with a really nice email and basically said Space Horse or Gorilla Monsoon. Space Horse for more paved/gravel riding or touring, GM for fire roads and single track. They see GM as more “dirt-specific/‘Monstercross’”. I found that interesting. That doesn’t necessarily come through in their ad copy.

The Pack Rat seems like it could be the sleeper here. I just don’t see a lot written about it, which is a shame because I think it might be excellent. When I pinged Surly about their thoughts on what I was looking for they actually sent a very lengthy and thoughtful email with some recommendations. They touted the Straggler and Disc Trucker, but then mentioned something about how if I wanted to carry my banjos over every hill and through whatever terrain I could find in the county - in a front rack - I should look hard at the Pack Rat.

I don’t own a banjo, but I get what they mean. Again... I feel their ad copy really aims that bike at urban commuters, rather than all-road randonneur. With ‘gravel’ and front-loading being the current thing, you think they’d be getting that bike into that segment of the cycling world. Could be it’s a ‘value’ NFE and they’d sell thousands.

Late night ramble. This is a fun conversation! Thanks all for the continued participation!

R
I usually look pass marketing mumbo jumbo. I usually know what I want bike to do and how I want to build it and just look if frame would work for that.
All-City team is fantastic to deal with. I fell hard for GM as soon as it was released, same as you and put deposit down at my LBS the day it was announced only to find out a week later that it is sold out/not available in Canada in my size. I found it hard to believe and reached out to All-City direct. They got in touch with my LBS, cleared the confusion and errors in the system and I got my frame. I send them pic of all my All-City bikes as a thank you (and I got several, addiction started with their Big Block which I bought by accident when I lived in a big city :-)) and they sent me super nice box of goodies. All in all - top notch people and fella who started it is really into classic steel. I also appreciate that they don't hide the fact that frames are made in Taiwan, they even did special blog post to highlight their highly skilled hard working partners from far away. Same with Mike - what you see is what you get and I really appreciate it.
Front load on GM is no problem, no flopping and I used both big 24 pack rack for several rides and I use smaller one on daily rides with small porteur bag from Surly.
Anyway - you can't go wrong with MCD or GM, both excellent frames. With my builds - MCD is mostly road (any road) and GM is when I don't know what to expect (road, gravel, singletrack, coming across big Morel stash, you get the idea :-)). Like them both a lot and very grateful that I can have both.