Old 09-08-23, 01:18 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
It is interesting when you start on these bullhorn equipped bikes that you can feel the bars flexing. It is something I always found alarming if there were no spares available. Folks still claim you lose very little energy with straight arms but I find that argument holds no water for me. I have spent thousands of hours on TT bikes and when you transition for traffic,road geometry etc (i.e. sit up on the bullhorns) you can feel the extra effort needed to remain sitting as well as the wind resistance. It surely can't just be me.
I see many bikes now with wide tires at low pressures (60-70 psi) and am equally mystified as to the utility of all that soft rubber hitting into the road. When I have to repair a puncture on the road-side my pump struggles to get beyond 70 psi so upon remounting the 'soft' tire feels like I'm riding into a 30 knot headwind. Obviously a narrow 23mm tire suffers more than a 30+mm tire if soft but I have a dozen or so pre-WW2 bikes, so I'm very familiar with the virtue of soft tires but I can't see the logic if speed is desired. Boardman's 30 yo Hour record Lotus bike (a record just been broken) had 200 psi silk tubs for tires.
Someone once told me much of what is considered ideal is driven by the large component makers making you part with your money. Electronic shifting and disc brakes are now apparently indispensable - it makes you wonder. Two dished offset hubs...ugh!

Last edited by Johno59; 09-08-23 at 01:26 AM.
Likes For Johno59: