Old 02-15-17, 05:08 PM
tripelM

Bikes: '91 Specialized Hard Rock, 2017 Priority Classic 2 Gotham Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Commuter in Clear Lake area

Hi! I'm on the SE side of town in the Clear Lake area. Started following along here today and on ****** in a few of the bicycling subs earlier this week. I started commuting about a week ago after reading some Mr. Money Mustache blog stuff. The weather is reasonable in the winter here, my office is only about 6 miles away, why am I not doing this already? Houston is such a car (or SUV and truck) kinda town.

I ride through some Clear Lake neighborhoods including some bayous and "Exploration Green" which is still being developed (very slowly). Eventually I end up on Hwy 3 (Old Galveston Road) and ride on the shoulder up to Ellington Field. The crossings at the railways and getting onto Hwy 3 is a little less than ideal. I'm learning lots of things.

I have been riding my 1991 Specialized Hard Rock (hard tail MTB), but I got a new bike Monday (Priority Gotham - 3 spd IGH, Gates Carbon Belt Drive) and put it together Monday, painted some fenders and put those on last night. Gonna prob take it to an LBS for caliper and fender tuning - not happy with the clearances/fitment after I meddled with it. The fender struts are pushing it off center and I couldn't get that lined up after tinkering for about 30 minutes. Looking forward to riding some more Friday (assuming I can get the bike in and out of the LBS by then).