View Single Post
Old 03-05-19, 05:30 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
I've lost about 5 lbs this year. I've done very little riding. Maybe once or twice a week, tops. The weather doesn't help, and I'm being smart recovering from tendonitis.

Interestingly, the forms of exercise where I don't sweat much may be much more healthy since they are all weight bearing forms of exercise...
Losing weight is a complex business and, sadly, it isn't as simple as calories in vs calories out, illogical as that may seem. My guess is that there are two factors at work here. One is that you're being more aware of what you're eating. Personally I find cutting down on carbs is more effective for me, but simply the fact that you're being careful means you're probably snacking less. The other is that you are probably riding slower. There is an ideal fat-burning level of exercise which, if I remember correctly, is below the aerobic threshold. That is, at the level where you could still comfortably carry on a conversation with fellow riders. At this level your body can supply your energy needs by consuming fat, which is relatively slow to metabolise. Above this level it has to start looking for other sources of energy which can include muscle if you really overdo it.