Old 07-31-18, 10:23 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by BassistBiker
Yep, and I knew I was getting a lower quality bike for sure, so I wasn't expecting "top tier" by any means, but is lasting 2 months in a row without repair asking too much for my $500??

Taken directly from Treks webpage...

"Marlin 5 is a trail-worthy daily rider that's perfectly suited for everyday adventures, on and off the trail. A front suspension fork with 100mm of travel, 21 speeds, and mounts for a rack and fenders make it an ideal choice for new trail riders or anyone looking for a comfortable, stable commuter with the ruggedness of a real mountain bike."

Now, I know that's all marketing designed to sell bikes, but it most definitely doesn't say "Not suitable for singletrack usage" or "for road use only" anywhere.

My plan was to buy the bike, then waste some money over the first year or two upgrading some components, starting with the fork, and ending with a proper driveline...I figured it would be a fun & great way to learn about my bike...yes, I could have just saved up and bought a higher quality bike in the first place, but being an ex auto technician (20+ years), I like to tinker, and this would be a fun project.

But, back to my first point...2 months, very light riding, and the chance that I'd have to pay to fix the bike already??? Seems kinda strange to me.
Waste is the operative word. Hang around here for any amount of time and you will see that while you can upgrade an entry level bike, it usually is much more cost effective to find the sweet spot for value and just go with that to begin with, maybe upgrade a mid range bike with higher end components than try to do the same with entry level. And we haven't even started talking about wheels yet, another weak point on entry level bikes, trail or not.

What we don't know is, did the salesman suggest a higher spec bike to begin with, or not? Understand that if he tells you you should go with the $700 bike or the $900 bike and you ignore his advise, he will sell you the $500 bike.

As for your complaint about the 2 months, I will say, it is common for new bikes to need minor adjustments a month or two after purchase. Mechanics chalk it up to cable stretch or some such thing. Hopefully, they can address the noisy suspension fork, but the mechanic's reaction suggests he has seen a lot of these come back for repair or adjustment.