View Single Post
Old 09-25-20, 03:17 PM
TrackSmart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Helldorado
Thanks for that advice. Yesterday I emailed Hambini to ask him what BB he makes that would fit my bike. He emailed me back to ask what the current crankset I have is (it's the SRAM Apex1). Lets see what he recommends. The Great Hambini!
It's your money, but those are some crazy expensive bottom bracket adapters from Hambini £155.00 to £195.00 (i.e. $200 to $250). If you want a thread-together bottom bracket solution, check out Wheels Manufacturing options, which cost 1/3 as much ($60-$80) and are very nicely engineered.

Frankly, if your frame is within tolerances, you won't need anything even as fancy (and heavy) as the Wheels Manufacturing option -- nevermind the Hambini option. For instance, I have an inexpensive SRAM PF30 to Shimano BB adapter on my gravel bike, which I've removed and even moved to a second frame (after crashing and destroying the first frame). The first frame was metal with a metal shell. No issues. The second frame was carbon with a carbon bottom bracket shell. No issues. The only thing I used for installation was plain old grease. The adapter doesn't thread together or anything. It's just two lightweight pieces of plastic with a friction fit. The adapter cost $30 and weighs about 30 grams (i.e. way lighter than the thread-together options).

Compare that to the Hambini adapters, which might be well-engineered (?), but cost £155.00 to £195.00 (i.e. $200 to $250). And his bottom brackets weigh double/triple/quadruple what the simple adapters weigh. Frankly, other than getting the "privilege" of purchasing from a Youtube-famous engineer, I don't see any value in it. Especially for a gravel bike (vs. a race machine used by an actual racer where every quarter-of-a-watt drivetrain loss counts).

Again, it is your money, so no skin off my back. Just letting you know about your other options.