Old 06-03-16, 02:26 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1343 Post(s)
Liked 2,485 Times in 1,459 Posts
I use the Trico Iron Case. It weighs 31 pounds and is oversized and meets ground shippers standards. I have used it for domestic and international travel with no problems with airlines, TSA or Fedx.

I wrap the frame, fork and handlebars in packing material. That takes some time but if something shifts in transit or during inspection, it is not a problem.

I disclose to the airlines that it is a bicycle. I see little point in managing my life and budget via deception - to each his own.

I did try to get Delta to give us a free return shipment because my wife won a gold medal in Winston Salem and even though the ticket agents were excited for her, they did not agree to the proposal.

I have not been able, domestically or internationally, to touch any items from luggage that was being hand inspected. This goes for bikes and carryons. I would always assume that the best one can do is observe and respectfully offer advice if allowed and required. My experience is advice usually makes things worse. Checkers do as they please, hence the need to have packed in a manner that anticipates that.

I hate taking apart cockpits for bikes. One is always concerned about getting the assembly exactly the same as it was before and with the same degree of reliability. I do not take the stem off the handlebar.