WheresWaldo
Ride it like you stole it

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale EVO Ultegra Di2, Pedal Force Aeroblade, Rue Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
New stuff and software comments.

Been working on a different version of the Garmin Edge mount. The current one works fine but it only works in one orientation. So Edge 1000 users would be stuck in portrait mode. The new one is an eighth-turn and allows both portrait and landscape modes with just one mount. I should have this printed and tested in about a week.

I also am trying a mash-up type of Edge mount. I am personally invested in GoPro style mounts. I needed to focus on one mounting system as I have working Contour, Sony and GoPro action cams. While not my favorite, there are just more options in the GoPro mounting system. What I do love is the fact that both Garmin and Contour have rotating mounts. The Contour is just too limited as it rotates only and fixes the tilt of the camera to one angle. The Garmin Flat mount has a lot of flexibility. Off to REI to pick up the Virb mounting kit on clearance, design and print a flat mount insert that works with the GoPro and swap it for the Virb insert. Now I have a fully functional GarGoPromin flat mount. I can rotate and tilt and stick it on the bottom of my Edge mount. Unfortunately because of the placement of the mounting screws on the K-Edge combo mount this is nearly impossible to print (some walls are too thin or missing completely), so no chance I will make this a K-Edge combo mount interface.

@long john, I am not a programmer so I don't particularly care for the steeper learning curve associated with applications like OpenSCAD. I started out with 123D Design, but quickly outgrew its capabilities. It is more focused on what the finished product will look like rather than the steps it took to get there. I now mostly use FreeCAD. It is much less programmatic than OpenSCAD but still allows me to go back in the timeline to adjust whatever parameters I need.

@ItsJustMe, I have looked at some of your designs and I see that yours have a lot of more traditional parts associated with them like using conduit for you mount then making your Virb mount a direct bar mount. I tend to be a more 'form is as important as function' kind of guy. Yours are easier to print for the home maker and very utilitarian and I need mine to look more aesthetic with curves and smooth transitions. That is just one of the many differences that make this 3D printing thing so special, I love to see the way others tackle these issues and come up with individual solutions.

With regard to CC licensing, I am all for open source and creative freedom, but don't believe everything needs to be open or free (these are different) in the 3D print community. I use open source software and hardware nearly every day, I use Ubuntu for my media server, Debian for my print server, Arducopter for the OS of my multi-rotor flight controller (Pixhawk, also open hardware). So with that said, I have some designs that are open, posted mostly on Thingiverse but slowly transitioning to YouMagine, and a lot of designs that I keep to myself. I tend to design something simple first and easier to home print, then refine and sculpt after I know it works. The simple design goes up in a public file repository the 'sculpted' version I keep.

I am happy to see that others are interested in doing this for themselves and hope we can keep this discussion going.
Attached Images
File Type: png
eighth-turn mount.png (60.5 KB, 631 views)
Garmin flat mount.png (67.4 KB, 629 views)
GoPro Flat Insert.png (62.1 KB, 628 views)

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 04-28-15 at 10:10 AM.