View Single Post
Old 07-20-20, 10:24 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
I disagree with the need to grease all of the bearings. Looks like it sports Shimano lx hubs, those are insanely sealed. The bottom bracket is of the cartridge type, and is sealed. Headset bearings are generally well sealed. I recently took apart an old 1964 Campagnolo hub that had apparently never been taken apart, the grease was in 1964 condition/ seemed to be perfect, Don't waist your time/ there's no benefit.
I disagree with not taking the time to grease the bearings. LX hubs are well sealed, but they are not impervious to water. I run LX and XT hubs on our touring bikes, and lube them before starting a tour, which has been annually for the last 15 years. At least do the lubrication work before you take the bike on a tour. Most of my tours are multi-month tours, and I don't want to spend time fixing things in the middle of a tour, when trouble can be avoided by some simple pre-trip preventative maintenance.

You do not know anything about the bike you just bought. The previous owner could have used a pressure washer to clean the bike before the sale. I would tear bike completely down and clean, check and lube everything. Then you know what you have. But that is just me.

Headset bearings can cause problems.
[[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49807693746_52d8b22328_b.jpg

Last edited by Doug64; 07-20-20 at 11:58 PM.