Old 07-24-11, 09:38 PM
TheBikeRollsOn 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think this is the worst advice ever...and it comes up a lot. I could build a microwave from scratch...that doesn't mean it will heat my sammiches better.

The whole "you'll know how to work on it" argument is invalid, too. I learned how to properly maintain bikes long before I ever built one from scratch.

If you want the same invaluable "learning experience" from an off the shelf bike that you'd get from building a custom bike...at half the cost? (because it's the learning experience that makes it worth while, right?). Here's what you do:

Step 1: Buy a complete bike.
Step 2: Take it apart.
Step 3: Re-assemble it.

Now you know as much as the guy who spent months buying parts and building a bike from scratch. Seriously. That's all you gotta do.

It will cost A LOT more than buying complete. Not a bit more. A lot more.
Jesus Christ, worst advice? The kid asked about frames because he wants to build up a bike, the first piece of advice he got was to buy a kilo tt. He didn't ask "what should I do, build a bike or buy an entry level bike that everyone owns?" I get that no matter what the question, bikeforums jumps to Kilo TT, so much so that's it's become a running joke. But he wants to build a bike with a friend, which to me sounds like a lot of fun and a bonding experience that will give the bike a lot more sentimental value than buying complete. Now buying a Kilo TT has it's place, but it's not for everyone, not everyone wants the same generic bike that every ****ing idiot gets after coming to BFSSFG asking the same question that's been asked 100,000 times in the past month.

Now the problem with you answer to learning about bikes is this: Nobody is going to get an almost completely assembled bike and then not want to ride it. It's instincts to want to use something new as soon as you get it, so they aren't going to break down the bike and build it back up before at least riding it a little bit. The second problem is that once they start riding it they are going to stop just so they can take it apart and put it back together. That's why I said it forces the builder to familiarize themselves, because they have no other option. Just because you or other people learn to maintain bikes before building one means that everyone will.

If someone wants to build their own bike, why shouldn't they, to deny it's sentimental value or the value of the experience is just down right ignorant. To try and deny the kid of a great experience just because you think it isn't a wise move financially is ridiculous.

However, I second the Felt TK1, I hear it's great for beginners just looking to get into cycling, plus at that price point who can argue against it?