View Single Post
Old 07-26-15, 12:36 PM
bigcicero

Bikes: 2015 Cervelo R3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw, the differences between the Synapse and R2 were really noticeable. Frankly I was astonished by how different the bikes felt for similar geometry. (The R2 is positioned slightly more aggressively.)

The Synapse felt nimble (what some people call a little 'twitchy'), and it shot out of turns with rocket-like propulsion, very much like my Caad. However, were I to ride hands-free for a bit and hit a pothole or get a stiff cross-wind, I could see wiping out easily. Thus, fun and race-like, but not exactly sure-footed. Which was pleasantly surprising for an 'endurance' bike - not your mama's cushioned bike.

In contrast, the R2 felt like a slightly bigger, heavier bike (even though it has what I believe to be an exceptionally light frame), and it was extremely sure-footed. It didn't whip me out of turns, but it was exceedingly stable and went exactly where I wanted it to go with speed. I've read a couple reviews that have affirmed my observation about the R2. It's a pretty nice contrast to the Caad, and I can imagine someone having both bikes for different rides & reasons.

Anyway, it's amazing that similar geometries lead to such different characteristics; it's much more than geometry and frame material that leads to the bike's personality.

Last edited by bigcicero; 07-26-15 at 12:40 PM.