Old 07-11-20, 02:09 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
The tan is just the upper layer of your skin, the epidermis, producing more pigments to protect the dermis below, and is reasonably safe. Exposure is even necessary to promote vitamin D production. A burn is when there is prolonged exposure to strong UV that penetrates down to the dermis. This is more harmful.

I am also quite weary of sun exposure, and I prefer to cover up rather than chemical--gloves, longer bibs/shorts, longer socks even. I'll put sunscreen on my arms and then armsleeves because that's the one body part that is constantly exposed to direct and strong sunlight. Sunscreen on my face and neck, and extra on the nose and ears.

I love summer riding, but that's the one hassle that I do not like.
Howdy, I’m really only pushing this point because it's a health issue. Lord knows there are enough debates on this forum . But, no, there is no such thing as safe tanning, unless it comes out of a bottle. I just did a quick search and any legitimate source (university research, government research) states this unequivocally. Any dermatologist will say the same.

Again, not trying to start any argument, just want people to protect their skin!

If someone wants to tan, great, just know there are risks. There are also other ways to get vitamin D. Sorry, I’m kind of a nerd about this and probably not everyone needs to worry about it as much as I do.
Likes For walnutz: