View Single Post
Old 10-25-20, 12:15 AM
PIFFLE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 24 Posts
I've used Holdfasts with both my fixies - older with Pr1mo Tenderizers that are a little tougher to get into; new bike has DMR Vault Brendog platforms with removable pins (also comes with extra pins and a couple little wrenches to work the pins) and taking out the front four pins on the entry side made a world of difference quickly getting in.

Also removed all the pins except the front two from the alternate side to reduce pedal impact - having the two pins helps hooking tip of shoe to flop into and gives emergency traction in a "whoops, I missed" scenario. After two weeks, getting in faster w the DMRs than with 10yrs+ on the Pr1mos...

FWIW shoes make a difference for me too, laces & bikes always freak me out anyway but especially jamming them into velcro straps. Chrome slip-ons have no laces, easily wedgeable silhouette, hard plastic shank through the midsole that just make them an all around solid bike shoe, and hardwearing cordura for durability and water resistance. Older iteration of their slip-on had been my go-to for a long time and I still prefer the older aesthetic but their newer version is a really excellent bike shoe and the look has grown on me.