JA TREK

Bikes: 2018 Scott Aspect 950, 2018 Trek Hybrid, 1971 Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talk to me about Fat Bikes

Hey all,

I went out on the trails yesterday for the first time with my Trek Hybrid (will post pics in hybrid section). I had only been road riding prior to. I have to say, being on the trail was a totally different experience! I enjoyed the beautiful scenery, and it was nice to ride without worrying about getting hit. Admittedly, my hybrid with zero suspension was a little rough, but not horrible by any means. I live in NY where we get long winters, so I have been thinking about a fat bike for some time now.

​​​​l want to ride trails every season, and I feel torn between a mtb or a fat bike? Is the fat bike considerably harder to maneuver due to its size? I'm not looking to go all out as fast as I can, but want to be able to get up and down hills.

Also I'm considering frames. Steel, aluminum, carbon? Obviously steel is heavier. I'm looking at the Trek Farley 5, but also have access to Specialized, Cannondale, Fuji, and Scott fat bikes at my LBS (s). I realize I just have to go try them to see what I'm most comfortable on. Would love to hear opinions and learn what others are riding.