Old 07-14-18, 01:53 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
Mine came with Maxxis 4.8. they are fine and work well on trails and mud AFAIK. but i don't have a comparison and bought Vee rubber studded tires for winter. no snow yet, but they worked well without snow at 25°F. by well i mean just a bit harder to pedal and a bit more noisy due to studs.
I have to update on those Vee tires just so everyone is warned no never buy any Vee tires:
- turned out they were pretty bad on snow. The studs worked well on ice, though. After 250 km of riding the studs started to wear out. Vee sent me replacement studs. At the end of the season (only 250 km) I realized they only have 4 mm tread (My Maxxis that came with my bike have 7 mm!). So I gave up on them to be used in winter. It also seemed the tread on the center was less than on the side, indicating it wore 1-2 mm over the 250 km I used them. (I hadn't measured them when new, so that part is speculation)
- As cheap as I'm i decided to de-stud them and wear them out over the summer. So I'm riding this summer season and it seems I'm a worse rider with less confidence on sand and single track than last year. Sure, I'm a novice, so not much to expect. it was all a bit twitchy and less confidence inspiring. I realized the front tire is the most important one and this week i mounted the Maxxis tire on the front (rear still has the Vee, or whatever is left). Man, what a difference! Riding was much better, steering off-road much better, much more confidence that the bike goes where i steer/lean it to.
- Now my plan is to keep the (good) Maxxis on front and just shred the rear Vee tires to death and to never ever buy cheap tires again.

With the fast wear the cheap tires are more expensive. If you crash because they lose control where better tires wouldn't, it gets really expensive quickly.