View Single Post
Old 11-25-18, 10:48 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Important things to know from someone who has CP among his multiple physical challenges. There are different types of Cerebral Palsy. Some are monoplegics (Rare), and one limb affected, some hemiplegics (one side affected), there's diplegics (mainly legs affected), and quadraplegics (all limbs affected). There's also the muscle tone to deal with, there being someone who is hypotonic (low muscle tone), spastic (high muscle tone, very stiff limbs) and there's athetoid (with a lot of involuntary movements) and there's mixed forms of the above. Mine is spastic/athetoid. There's also startle reflex with many people with CP, where tone is easily triggered. Adaptations range from major to mainly lower gear ratios and toe clips as needed. I am spastic/athetoid diplegic. I can ride a MTB/City Bike/Hybrid bike easily, and can handle road bikes if grades very few (as in the Masi Gran Criterium I have visiting privileges on). I also have something of a startle reflex. And am a wheelchair user often, adaptive athlete (I participate in many sports) and also fiercely independent and active. I took my first ride on a MTB today unmodified (it's an old Trek 800 series singletrack, and mine, and in superb condition). I rode 3 miles, had a blast, and a lot of fun. And for the first time outside of an adaptive sports festival, back on a bike for the first time in 29 years. Feels like home. Pardon for the long post. But reality to consider for those dealing with CP people (I also have spina bifida as well)