Old 01-22-19, 10:55 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by novecho_delta
I'm looking at 120mm forks that are easy to service, made by companies that have a good reputation. I was interested in an SR Suntour fork, but their reputation for reliability has me worried. Same with Manitou. I think the Rockshox Recon RL is the best option, but that doesn't come in a 120mm option for 29" wheels and a 1 1/8" steerer tube.

By the way, what is the largest tyre one can fit to the frame and still safely clear the chainstay?

Thanks.
- novecho_delta
I know that my Crosstrail is 68mm, so as Hokiefd stated, the 120mm fork would really mess up your bikes dimensions. If you want a better suspension fork, one recommendation is below:

Rockshox Paragon

There are also many touring forks (non shock) out there that can be used. I myself have been considering this:

Surly ECR 29

Before you choose any of the above though, you may want to verify the length of your fork, since it could be a different size than what I have.

Regarding tire size, there have been a few Crosstrail owners whom used a 29er mountain tire, believe it was up to 2" Anything larger would be too big. Think they posted around pages 14-24 on the Crosstrail thread. Should have images of them if you look through the pages.

Last edited by travbikeman; 01-22-19 at 11:00 AM.