Old 03-26-19, 05:40 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
I rode my CrossTrail again after a break of many months. I had an awkward start to CrossTrail ownership with poor braking, inability to find new brake pads (even after asking Specialized!), some problems with brake bleeding, and a stripped rear calliper thread to top it all.

I avoided riding the bike as a result.

However, the bike was sorted out by the Specialized store that I bought it from last year, and I went out for a 2-hour ride last weekend.

I'm back in love with the bike again!

It's probably the best bike that I currently own and the addition of a Topeak Super Tourist DX Rack with a Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP clipped onto it has made it a very versatile bike. By the way, I really recommend that rack/bag combo. It's a clip-on bag so not secure, but that's not an issue for me. The bag itself is just brilliant with superb levels of cushioned storage and expandability.

As for the poor braking, I've figured out what the issue was. I was comparing it to one of my other bikes where the brakes 'grab' instantly and the wheels are easy to lock. With the CrossTrail, I found that the braking is more progressive and that it needs more pressure to get strong braking, so it's just a matter of adapting.

I'll definitely be riding it more this year.