View Single Post
Old 03-05-15, 07:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
I've only ever fitted myself with one of these, and while, as a male, the dynamic differences are obvious, the net effect of discomfort caused by the nose of traditional saddles is the same.

The clear and striking element of the SMP design is that the cutout extends all the way forward, right into the dropped hook of the nose. It's quite a bit different than most cutout saddles which place the opening more in the center of the saddle, which for me is too far rearward to provide any relief. The SMP works great for me, relieving that pressure at the front of the saddle.

I do ride with a fair amount of saddle/bar drop, and perhaps because I have little flexibility in my back, I tip my pelvis forward quite a bit in order to help flatten my back. I think the pelvis angle and back flexibility issues, more than amount of saddle/bar drop, are the primary reasons that some find difficulty with traditional saddles, but that's just a slightly un-wild guess, really. I also liked to flatter myself and think it was a sign of the well-endowed, but your girlfriends case has shot that theory to sh*t.