Old 09-27-16, 06:28 AM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
To let the OP look at this from a different angle: I haven't put more than $400 into any particular bike that I own. Why would they want even a $1000 bike? I can't fully utilize most of my bikes, and they're not even modern.

Trying to justify why you spend what seems like an extraordinary amount to someone else is usually a futile gesture. You're likely to hear the same arguments made in every level-up. At the end of the day, the reason they did it is because they saw utility in paying more for a feature, and spent their money on it.

Heck, even at a $400 price point, I sometimes get asked why I couldn't have gotten something cheaper.
My question has nothing to do with limits on personal spending. Everyone can spend whatever they want all day long. You can buy used, news, or make it yourself I don't care.

My question's intent was to find out the factors for those that have gone beyond the current cost of entry level LBS bikes like Trek and Specialized. From those who have correctly deduced my intent or followed up after clarification the responses still are all over the map . Some value components, some don't. Some care more about weight and others don't.

I'm going to have to see what kind of test drive the nearest stores will let me take and go from there. I hope to find one new and one classic bikes I like at least as much as mu current one, ideally better.