Old 06-11-20, 11:20 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Electra Cantilever, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn World, Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 142 Posts
It sounds like you checked everything that you should normally check. And even with new internals, it still doing the same thing. My initial reaction is that the hub inside surface may have a texture or pattern on it that causes this noise. I'm thinking that because that is the only other part that you didn't change.

Another thought, as I was reading you original post is that the reaction arm was moving, however, you said that you checked that and have probably done it multiple times. The thing with the reaction arm is that when it moves it usually tightens everything up.

Your bearing surfaces, are important. When you apply the brakes the Bendix causes high forces on the bearings. Check your cones and races.

These hubs are simple and I know you have done the rebuild multiple time now, so you are good at it. You could probably do it in you sleep by now. I know you will figure it out. It may be the hub shell, in which case you will have to replace the wheel or try to refinish the bearing race, which is a touchy topic here.

Let us know how it goes. We don't talk too much about coaster brakes here but they do get some love for their simplicity. No cables required.

You probably know this already, we all respond better with pictures. Get some detailed picture next time you open the hub back up.