View Single Post
Old 06-19-20, 03:35 PM
ulstoft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
did i mention before you aren't getting a custom bike? if your frame builder gentleman is telling you ya gotta choose between disk or v-brake frame and fork, he's bolting together an off-the-peg taiwan factory frame for you. a competent builder would at least give you the option of having disk mount tabs AND v'brake studs on the frame and fork.
Yes that is true. It is a pre-made frame from Taiwan and it keeps the cost down. But I could also have a custom frame made if I want to spend the extra. I do not begrudge anyone using frames from Taiwan because it makes the rest of the customisations more affordable to me. But it would be interesting to ask about the cost difference of having a frame made that will suit either disc or V.

Originally Posted by saddlesores
did your "builder" not argue against a fully-loaded expedition bike with 32's in muddy conditions? he should have said minimum 45's, and explained the need for extra clearance with fenders.........in the mud! and why would you request 35mm road tires for an off-road expedition touring bike? did your builder agree to that? if so.....RUN!!! he's NOT a builder, he's an assembler. he's just slapping together some random pieces without considering what you claim to be your ultimate use for the bike.
I really did not explain this well. He definitely did not suggest that I use a thin tyre. His default spec is something like 50. I cannot find it now, but I'm the one that told him that I had been mostly touring on 32s. I also, asked if the wheels he was providing would take a 32 because I might switch the bike into a city commuter between tours. I didn't mean to suggest 32s are good for touring in the mud, but I found for example when I hit a small muddy patch on a canal path with 28s the bike would immediately go over, but with 32s they provided the minimum stability needed to keep the bike upright. But I would only take a 32 on a tour that is mostly paved with little off-road.