View Single Post
Old 06-21-20, 05:58 AM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 285 Posts
Originally Posted by oldspokes
I have to dig through my junk barrel in the corner, I tossed it, the axle, the driver, and planetary set in the scrap pile.
It looks to me like it lost a few teeth or the ends of a few teeth and those got run through everything over and over again.
Things were scarred up more than worn. It was in permanent neutral when she brought it to me, and it would bind up if pedaled in reverse.
The inside looked like it was coated with graphite oil with lots of little sparkles.
If I can find the bits I'll snap a few pics, I didn't think anything of it till I saw yours here and that both were 1972 models.
I think the bike was also a Malaysian built bike like the one a few posts ago, but the rest of the bike looked 'normal'.
It didn't look abused overall, just a bit neglected in the maintenance area.
In my case, I can't remember the specifics but the bike would not shift.
Also, I don't recall if I just replaced the ground down gear or swapped in the complete unit.
The rest of the gears seemed ok
Another case was a loose pin that secures the sun gear.
This bike also refused to shift properly and closer examination revealed the
drive shaft was actually warped/bowed.