Old 06-27-20, 07:16 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
He seems to dig pretty deep into the gadgets he tests.
Ray has a lot more patience than I have.

Originally Posted by colnago62
That YouTube guy that does all those in-depth reviews on bike equipment actually said the power pods were as accurate as other power meters out there under steady pace riding.
I've known Ray for years, and have worked on a few power meter related projects with him, including that one in the wind tunnel, but also a few others. I think he tries to figure out what the use case and value proposition are for each product he reviews, and then evaluate them from that perspective. That's wise, mature, and probably the right thing to do. I don't have to write reviews for a living so I don't have to be polite. One of the side effects of Ray's wise and mature approach is that his reviews can sometimes be like Rorschach ink blot tests: people see in them what they want to see. You read his short comments about the Power Pod and came away thinking "they're as accurate as other power meters!" I did the behind-the-scenes analysis for Ray's original review of the Stages where I laid out where it did well and where it did poorly. Later, people would cite Ray's review to me in defense of what they thought, not knowing that I did the analysis. I think that's kind of amusing.