View Single Post
Old 07-02-20, 01:47 AM
Dan Chase

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Just replying to Juvela - can`t seen to get the "quote" reply to work today...

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

i too was immediately struck by the absence of eyelets. in my recollection the trend for eyelet removal and of manufacturers producing road end sets without eyelets tends to begin around 1974.

afaik Campag did not offer the 1010 ends set without eyelets at this time. many other forum members are far more knowledgeable on Campag than meself so perhaps they con contribute some information on this topic.

if they were removed by Torresini during or prior to the manufacturing process there might be some trace on the edges. otoh the ends would have had to have been polished prior to plating...

there is a currently active forum thread concerning the identity of a 1960's era Italian frame whose 1010 ends set also exhibits no eyelets. it is not in original finish and has no chrome which makes the eyelet question rather grey:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...rer-frame.html

is there a model marking on the Magistroni chainset? L. Senior perhaps? found it interesting that the fixed cup shows a smooth flat face. on the higher model sets from the maker the fixed cup is more 3D, exhibiting a groove and often writing. is the adjustable cup the pin hole type or is it the raised hex type? the spindle ends appear to be hollow. me guess would be that the spindle is not hollow all the way through and the hollowness goes in about fifteen or twenty mm at each end. what is the marking on the spindle's centre section? does it read L. Senior for example? were you able to reuse the beautiful high quality wedgebolts or was it necessary to fit ordinary modern replacements? vintage Italian ones can be most handsome with their high degree of polish, bored heads and false acorns with colour coordinated inserts. this is a challenging item for restorers to get correct. chainset is not shown clearly in any of the images; wondering if it is one which employs Y-adaptors.

here is the "show us your Torpado" thread [all Torresini products are welcome, regardless of how badged, according to the host]:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...r-torpado.html

Torresini history note -

forum member T-Mar recently posted that Agrati-Garelli purchased Torresini in 1983. this made me wonder what, if anything, they did with it. Agrati seemed to discontinue the manufacture of cycle fittings ca. 1983-85. Agrati-Garelli continued on with their motorbike business.

-----
The crankset is Torpado marked, thin cranks with center relief, 3 spider arms each joining another thin twin arm leading to the chainring - typical of most I`ve seen on early torpados - there`s one on ebay i think.

BB cup is the simple version with the holes in it for adjustment, bb is solid with wholes at the end, marked "C" which I assumed was just for campagnolo - new I should have taken more pics...

Re-used one original cotterpins, the other was seized real bad, LBS had to rreally work on it to remove it as I just didn`t want to hit it that hard.

Thanks, Dan.