Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 120 Posts
About 30 seconds out of a house fire last night

Had some family over, having a grill out. We had been out in the garage and drive popping some fire crackers. A couple of smokers present. We had all come in for a moment to wait for it to get darker and watching the Bourne movies in a marathon on one of the channels. Thank GOD that the kids have good hearing....during a quiet part of the movie one of them asks what was beeping. Turns out that an ashtray caught fire and spread into some cloth and paint supplies/trash. The whole garage was FULL of smoke. Active fire in the corner that was mere seconds away from being fully involved with the wall and ceiling. Got hot enough to melt several of the paint and such containers on the shelf next to it. Melted the lower edge of a TV we have there.

A couple of tips.
Make sure your ashtrays are fully OUT.

Second, have a maintained fire extinguisher in your home, if not a couple of them. Had I NOT had a fire extinguisher on hand I would have been standing in the front yard watching my house burn down.

As a side, I HATE the nasty habit and have been after the wife to quit for decades now....I doubt even this will be enough. Cigarettes are worse than crack to you nicotine junkies.
Likes For Juan Foote: