View Single Post
Old 07-06-20, 05:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Ilovemyride
Ok , ok took some photos and I think I have a clue from all the comments helped me .

Showing my Rim . Tires are brand new very good quality, no holes.

Welp.... For the life of me I dont know why I took off the original cloth and replaced it with this cheap sh*t but I think its my clue.

Pumped up innertube with hole in it . Heard it leaking and followed the hiss. It is coming from where my hand is about opposite side of where valve is .

Hole is where my thumb is ......and yup it appears to be on the inside, unbelievable !
Here are the photos .
Rage all you like against flats if it make you feel better but just accept that flats are random events. No pneumatic tire is impervious to punctures. Some do a good job but nothing is perfect. Shout, yell and curse the gods all you like if it makes you feel better but in the end, you’ll just have to realize that flats happen.

As for your particular problem, that looks like the tube extended down into the spoke hole through the rim strip. The rubber probably looks like it has a little pimple in it towards the rim. I’ve been having this issue a lot lately as well. I have not been able to find the part of the rim strip that appears to be weak and have even changed rim strips. At this point, it has happened so often that I’m not convinced that it is a rim strip problem. I have always worked under the idea that tube are expandable and have used undersized tubes but I’m beginning to think that the rubber being used for new tubes isn’t as flexible as it once was. The tubes aren’t expanding as much as they should and they are tearing at the spoke hole where push down into the rim strip. I’ve been using larger tubes (closer to the size of the tire) lately and, so far, they have worked where I’ve tried them.

Finally, as for tubeless, the tubeless tire is no more or less prone to punctures. The Schwalbes you are using are tubeless ready but put them on and run over something sharp and they will flat. What makes tubeless less prone to flats is the sealant. You could put sealant in the tubes if you like and you’ll get the same benefit. Unfortunately you’ll get the same problem that sealant causes in tubeless tires. The sealant needs to be refreshed every 3 to 6 months.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!