RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 655 Times in 495 Posts
So this:

“Analyzed by categorical age group, older Swedish patients with confirmed COVID-19 were more likely to die than to be admitted to the ICU, suggesting that predicted prognosis may have been a factor in ICU admission,” the researchers write in a study published online for the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases. “This likely reduced ICU load at the cost of more high-risk patients dying outside the ICU.”

The implication here is that Sweden chose to emphasize personal responsibility, but when the choice led to increased infections among the elderly, medical professionals seem to have taken on the responsibility of choosing who likely lives and dies.
drug up a memory of something a friend told me* before all the coronavirus stuff. Sweden is often held up as an example of socialized medicine, but in Sweden (my friend said*), it is common for old people to go to the doctor or the hospital with a terminal, but treatable, but expensive, condition, and the doctor will just say, 'nope, sorry you're too old. good luck with that'. If that's true*, that jives with this report that Sweden is triaging the elderly away from the ICU and letting them die, and maybe goes towards explaining why Sweden might be inclined to choose a strategy that will obviously have a high death toll among the elderly.

*my friend is not a 3A-certified, fact-checked investigative journalist. citation of my friend is in no way intended to imply that cited information is infallible, or in any way more significant than an individual anecdote

Last edited by RubeRad; 07-09-20 at 08:03 PM.