Old 07-15-20, 03:58 PM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 379 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Annnddd my original Araya CTL-370 rear rim cracked exactly the same way as the Wolber Super Champion Alpine rear wheel. Same lightweight hard anodized rim type.

And there goes my backup rear wheel. The 1989 Araya CTL-370 rim cracked exactly the same way as the Wolber Super Champion Alpine rim.

Araya CTL-370 rear rim cracked exactly the same way as the Wolber Super Champion Alpine rear rim.

I knew the hard anodized lightweight rims from that era were considered a bit fragile. But this is too much of a coincidence.

I'm gonna blame operator error. Whenever these wheels developed a slight wobble I just used a spoke wrench for a quick fix without ever measuring spoke tension. At some point I probably exceeded the recommended tension.

Good while they lasted. The front wheels are both fine... for now.

I need to decide whether to replace these with original style older wheels with threaded hubs for 7-speed freewheels, or update the entire bike drivetrain.
Yeah that's not uncommon with those wheels. In fact one of my wife's wheels did that. I think i may have a spare for you but not sure if it's front or rear. Are those 32 hole?
BTW, unless you're looking for a vintage set in particular I think modern wheels is the way to go. Generally You can get some for less than a 100 bucks in your neck of the woods.