View Single Post
Old 08-28-14, 03:00 PM
BaysideBill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Mike...

Turned 59 today, so I hear you. It doesn't get any easier, does it? That said, it can be done. If you haven't done so, check out the Nutrition forum on BF. Some real good advice out there. Back in March I was pushing 170(I'm 5'5"). I started dieting (lots of quinoa and chicken), and doing some moderate resistance training with dumbbells. I'm not really a gym type of guy, so I bought a set of entry-level Power Blocks adjustable dumb bells. Developed a routine of 45 minutes every other day, and not particularly high intensity. Stuck with a diet of high, clean protein, low calorie type stuff...egg whites, chicken, fish, the quinoa,things of this nature that a bit of googling will spell out further for you. Stuck to my routine with the weights, again, structured enough to be effective, but not overwhelming to the point of being exhausted and/or discouraged, and kept my expectations in check. Lost 20 lbs. by June. It *is* harder for us older guys, but not as impossible as it seems when you first start out and everything is in front of you. Just keep at it, and set realistic goals. Actually just started riding after 40 years of not owning a bike. Again, I am only out there a few days a week, 45 mins to an hour to get some cardio that weight training won't provide. Lost a few more lbs. but I've levelled off a bit now.

It *is* doable. Best of luck to you, and do check out the Nutrition forum.

Regards, Bill