Old 02-11-18, 11:31 PM
krispenhartung

Bikes: S-Works Venge Dura-Ace DI2, KTM Strada 4000, Fuji Norcom Straight 1.3 (TT), Fuji Track Elite, BMC Trackmachine TR02

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Originally Posted by carleton View Post
Surely you haven't narrowed your options down to just these two

You don't have to buy everything they tell you to buy
Right. :-) Well since I don't do anything but go to work, train, race, and sleep, I get bored and experiment with technology. I found two prospects, a little more pricey, but not the giant snorkel sweat-fest goggles. These are like slightly larger and heavy sun glasses, but basically project, inside the glasses, the equivalent of a 90" screen at 10 feet.

Also see that someone has come out with glasses for road racers that show sensor metrics. I think that's awesome, actually. I have no doubt we'll see these in the TDF in the next year or so. With my bad eyesight, I'd much rather prefer having my power, speed, etc, shown in my TT helmet visor than on a tiny bike computer. Right now the virtual display goggles and glasses are being designed mainly for the entertainment and gaming industry. Zwift already has the coding in their platform to support 3D projection of their software into glasses. It is only a matter of time before someone designs and markets a virtual display headset for athletes. This is not meant to replace the outdoor riding and racing experience, for me at least, but to enhance my indoor training experience when I can't ride outdoors, and get it to be more realistic -- because 7-10 hours on a trainer during the winter tends to get monotonous. Plus it's freakin' cool! Imagine having the BKOOL velodrome simulator bigger than life inside a set of glasses....like TRON, for anyone old enough here to remember that movie.