Old 06-07-21, 05:31 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Thanks @Irideo1.
For the ones I ride regularly, good mounts rock. Still, I have to constantly reconfigure, and the Orings become a consumable.
I have a roadie, a "touring" setup for trailering utility, several foldies, and a trainer.
Plus occasional MTB and new builds. Champagne problem, right? At least I make them work for their living.

Temporary mountings with the orings are useful, but they are vulnerable, needing trustworthy Orings, and tape/tethers.
I use permanent mounts where I can and they are indeed hard to move around, and nice ones pricey.

Permanent mounts and separate sensors for each bike would be a spiraling complexity.
inexpensive mounts for low stress installs , like the trainer, compete with the price for OEM Orings (!), but is pretty reasonable for the head unit.
Another problem with permanent mounts is the limited real estate on the seat tube, for bags, lights and trailer hitch, complicating flexible configuration.

The head unit wants a stout mount, and heavily loads the Garmin mount , which was designed for watch size units.

The biggest challenge is for cadence sensors and hub mount speed sensors, which don't have separate mounts,
and the rear facing Varia which needs differing positioning for each bike ,
has a funky mount, and doesn't have flexible mounting well thought out by Garmin.

I'm not trying to belabor it, but having a 10cent consumable selling for $4 chafes when needed in bulk,
and losing lights and sensors likewise.

Wanting to keep it fun and safe