Old 09-07-11, 09:08 PM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
When changing cogs (something that happens quite often during training and racing) on a standard threaded system one needs to use a lockring tool to remove the lockring and a chain whip to remove the cog.

This system and the others like it (Miche and Sugino) only require the use of a lockring tool to remove the cog for gear changes.

The known downside is that (to my knowledge) the system only provides cogs down to 14t, where some stronger riders like to train and race on 13 or even 12t cogs. There is also the risk of the cog and carrier developing some play between them which can only be eliminated by replacing both. Then there is the fact that the cogs are proprietary. All of this to avoid using a chainwhip to remove a standard threaded cog. Some don't think it's worth it.
^^^ This. Easton makes a 13 tooth, but with 14 - 15 - 16 and a 47 tooth chainring I have a warm up and a race gear. Also have a 52 and a different chain so I can get up to 102 gear inches, which for me is heaps. As for the issue of play that is a concern espacially with using SS sprockets. I can see a 28 hole Dura Ace hub in the future for these wheels.