Old 07-18-19, 09:38 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Original Primer 70s/80s Colnagos in repaint?

I am stripping my 2nd Colnago frame. It had to be done, the paint is ancient, in fair shape, but I am tired of looking at a grail colnago painted semi- "Celeste" green.

But here's the thing. I stripped a Colnago "Mexico" a few years ago, only to find the primer under the chromo-velato layer was an ivory colored nightmare. Stripping it took forever. I'm a stubborn SOB. Getting the last of it out of lugs and the bb area almost made me list the frame "unpainted, partly cleaned". So surprise here's that darned ivory primer again. This time I'm not trying to remove it. It sticks to the steel like it's anodised. Has anyone come across this primer. True ivory color. The minute I saw it, I knew it was the same stuff I encountered 4 years ago.

I have redone a number of frames, including the old imron down to steel. This is the first time I am not going down to bare steel. After cleaning and prepping the frame to a surface I am satisfied with, I will hit it with a light coat of anti-rust primer and then color decals and 2k clear coat. Anyone have experience with this approach, and getting GOOD results? This ain't no beater.
Colors are way off. Notice I can even separate paint from primer with razor after soaking with \"Goof Off", even though this was a remarkably tough paint job.