View Single Post
Old 10-14-19, 09:02 PM
peterraymond

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I think there is some misunderstanding indicated with a few comments. "Good" e-bikes are, as mentioned above, torque sensing. At least with these your effort doesn't just click on the motor. It's proportional. If you put out 50 watts and the motor does the same, the motor won't put out 100 watts unless you do too. Speed on the flats and on hills depends on wattage and weight. It seems like if you rode with someone of the same weight that wasn't as strong they could set an assist level so that you both had the same perceived effort and speed on every grade.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, because I don't actually know if this is exactly how it works - but it would be nice. On the other hand, the e-bike riders always just hit turbo on the hills.

I've read that the places were lots of people people commute on bikes are of course in other countries, but more interestingly, are also flat. E-bikes might be best at getting people in hillier places to ride.

I have a few friends who are thinking of going on a bike tour in Europe someplace. Based on past experience, once one of them decided to rent an e-bike, essentially everyone else fell in line. Trying to go old school with a bunch of e-bike riders is a good way to not enjoy your trip.

Along the same lines, when I started back packing many years ago I was bugged by the horse back riders. I guess it always is a little irritating when you're working hard and it's obvious there's an easier way.