View Single Post
Old 09-18-07, 07:01 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
1. What are the advantages or disadvantages of having two 26" wheels versus a front 20" wheel and a rear 26" wheel?

The benefits of having a front 20" and rear 26" was that the bike was a little cheaper than the 26", 26" model and I don't have to lift my legs quite so far up.

2. It seems that most bents have nine speeds, while my current bike has 24 speeds. Is nine speeds truly sufficient for a bent? Or is this something that might be improved--if necessary--in the future?

I think if you look, many bents also have a front derailleur. All the ones I looked at while shopping did.

3. I would like to purchase a bent that can tour so it must accommodate racks, but it also must be relatively fast and have higher end components (without getting too carried away). Is that type of bent available for around $1700 or less? If so, which one would you recommend? I might spend more, but really don't want to.

The Bacchetta's can accomodate both the optional rear rack and a midships rack. I think that the quality will make you happy and meet your price point.

4. The bent rider's feet and legs sit "high" above the ground on the pedals. Could this high feet/leg position contribute to a fall-over because the rider could not plant his or her feet on the ground quickly enough in an emergency situation?

I chose a 20" front wheel because I wanted my legs a little lower, but that was more from a concern for numb feet than falling. So far as a beginner, I have found my legs quite able to reach the pavement quickly when needed.

5. If you own a bent, what do you especially love about the bike? And what do you dislike about it?

It's more relaxing to ride. It's faster than any of my diamond frames, but I can also sit up and look around better. Taking the lane while going downhill is a hoot because it really feels like I'm driving a low-slung sports car. And on long rides, I may get a little "recum-butt" pain, but that is easily relieved with a quick break and standing up. With diamond frame bikes the pain from the saddle just gets greater and greater and is not easily relieved.

What don't I like about it. I haven't really found a satisfactory locking method because of its stick-like shape. And I feel that it's a greater target for thieves because of its distinctive looks.