View Single Post
Old 09-24-04, 10:59 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Toe clips, compared to a plain platform pedal are much more efficient, they keep your foot positioned correctly, they allow you to stand on the pedals safely, and you wont come off the pedals when you kit a bump.
Compared to clipless systems, toe clips are not quite so efficient, but you are not limitted to cycling footwear. For racing or sport riding, you should be using clipless systems.
You do need to setup your toe clips "properly" which is not with the strap cinched tight. This is not safe, therefore not proper. Just because old-time racing cyclists used to do this doesnt make it allright for a commuter mixing it in traffic.
I use a Christophe steel clip of the correct size (S/M/L), on an MKS sylvian pedal. Leather, rather than nylon straps, will retain their shape for better entry. Use a shoe with a clean profile, and avoid knobly soles, these will trap your shoe.
I find that my pedalling efficiency is good enough for an 800 mile tour with no foot ache, yet I can remove my foot **during** a fall on ice or wet grass. How many clipless riders can honestly say they can unclip once a fall has started. If they can, why do so many riders report falling over.