twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cjmelton
My ignorance will abound here but here goes. I’m using sidi shoes with eggbeater candies cl’s, I had shimano and changed, are these what you’re calling clipped pedals? I’m riding the joker Ellsworth and have taken some real hard falls/pavement eating time. Yes, my fault, but… so should I go with just a flat pedals? (I know this is an open ended question and it would depend on many different variables)
Your eggbeaters are what is referred to as "clipless". They take some getting used to, and in general this type of pedal is adjustable to make them easier to get in and out of. Clips, or toe clips are the ones that look like flat pedals but have a cage that your toe goes into and a strap that's adjustable. They can be ridden with regular shoes, but there are actually shoes made specifically for them. They have some of the benefit of clipless in that they do hold your feet in the proper position, and you can get more efficient pedaling than with a flat pedal. They can also be easier to get out of than clipless, at least until you get used to the clipless. They can be a bit awkward to learn to get into at first. Flat pedals are not as efficient because you only get power on the down stroke rather than all the way around, it's easy to have your foot in the wrong position, and they are easier to slip, which can be very dangerous. They are OK for very casual riding, but either of the other types are better for any more serious riding. I don't know that I'd want to try toe clips offroad.