Old 03-12-17, 08:55 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Hate is a strong word, but these tree cutters show total disdain and disregard for anybody who is not travelling in an air-conditioned automobile. Good shade tree coverage is the single factor that most improves and encourages walkability. I don't think you've done much walking if you don't know that simple fact!

On summer walks, I frequently cross the street to take advantage of shade. I totally avoid streets that don't have any shade, which undoubtedly makes the LCF haters quite happy.

I'm talking about walking here, but shade trees also do much to improve bicycling. I'm really surprised that you don't get this!
He says it's not LCF-hate, but I truly believe there are plenty of automobilists who think of nice treed sidewalks as catering to 'bums' and 'vagrants.' They basically think that anyone worth making a nice treed/shaded sidewalk for would be driving anyway.

Granted, it does cost a little more to plant a tree next to a sidewalk than to leave it bare, but it saves money not to mow it; but they don't want to leave it unmowed because that would take away a mower's job - nevermind that costs more than letting it grow. And of course someone could just plant or transplant a small tree voluntarily if they knew the tree wouldn't get mowed away or otherwise damaged, and then it would cost nothing.