Old 11-21-18, 05:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
But you are mistaking multiple posts to be undesirable when perhaps addressing individuals separately is more clear. You won't be flogged by the Posting Gods necessarily for that.
FWIW, I don’t necessarily expect that my problem will be solved, and I may well be the only BF subscriber who nests quotes. Nonetheless, I will continue.

A basic premise of my style is that usually I am replying to a topic, not necessarily to an individual, and to explore that topic I incorporate the posts of (several) other subscribers. For example I just finished this post about cycling in England (link).

Even when replying to an individual subscriber, I will use nested quotes, as in this example from yesterday (link).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… I also occasionally engage in entre nous conversations, if you will, of a few posts in length on some public threads, when a particular subscriber and I have some interest in common to both of us…
I’m not interested in post counts per se, though they are hard to accumulate when writing long posts, but I have over 6000 in ten years on Bike Forums, with numerous quotes.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride”…

I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:…

• the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise….